Monday, November 15, 2010

This Last Week

So, on Friday I went into Braunau/Simbach with 4 other guys. We shopped a bit (I bought 2 pairs of gloves at the Army Shop) and then we went to Subway. It was fun, if a bit loud (specifically the car ride).

The activity that dominated the last week was the "Battlefield Hollywood" organization, which is two guys who used to work in Hollywood and now feel that most forms of electronic entertainment are bad. While I agreed with their general points (repetition of themes makes one eventually accept them, violent video games can be harmful, etc.) I disagreed with the examples they used. For instance, Mario is obviously a stand-in for Christ because he had a blue-collar occupation, traveled to another world, loves a woman who wears a crown, and rides a dinosaur (okay, they referred to it as a "steed"). In reality, I think Link would have been a better choice for a Christ analogue, if you're going to do that. Also, they said that in the movie "The Dark Knight," Batman represents Satan and the Joker represents Christ. Raise your hand if you noticed that in the movie...no one? Well that just shows that you're being brainwashed.

Yesterday I went swimming at the city pool in Braunau. It only costs 2 Euros for 2 hours with my student ID card. It was fun. It turns out one of the guys I went with is a swimming instructor, so he was giving us lessons on how to swim properly.

Last night was Talent Show. I thought of something really cool that I could do...during the program. A little late, but there might be another opportunity to do it. There were some pretty good acts, and I filmed most of it, so some of that might appear in this space sometime in the future.

I played soccer Saturday night and had a ball hit me in the face so hard that I had a headache the next day. One of the other shots bounced off the ground and into my chin, making me bite my tongue. It now hurts to eat. Also, the Battlefield Hollywood guys played with us and further reinforced the idea that Americans are good goalkeepers.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on that Battlefield Hollywood stuff. It's exactly like how I feel about literary criticism and how absolutely everything is taken to represent sex or sexual anatomy. Feels a little....extreme. Like they're digging for what they want to see.

    Anyway, hope your head feels better soon:(

    ReplyDelete